Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Domino's, Devastation, and We are Family(song)

Four aftershocks total started the day and it also added us to the list of millions who have been part of a historical event. It was not an event that any of us chose buy none the less we're part of it. Again, we ran our free medical clinic, this time until lunch.  We cut it short because team 2 was due to arrive shortly. It was a joyous occassiona for team one and our Haitian staff. We all waited along the filthy road for their black ...... I'm mean blue...... I mean red/burgundy bus as Aaron described. But finally they were here.

Team two had a similar trip as team one from Santo Domingo. Beautiful sun lit mountains and rolling hills along the way. Upon entering Jemani,Haiti  the easy ride turned to "hurry up and wait". Vaccinations for the bus driver and an unexpected scenic drive through Port Au Prince added the remaining 6 hours or so. Never the less they are with us now. 

Later in the aftrnoon Dr K sent a small group of us to find the only remaining Domino's pizza in Haiti. Following a different route through the city we traveled through some of the hardest hit neighborhoods. Total devastation for a few miles. Everyone displaced and living among that now familiar smell of death. Signs spray painted on semi standing walls pleading "Lots of Dead Please Help". We traveled further and I pondered about how important this pizza might be. God revealed two messages to my heart. 

One: Dont forget where you are!!!! This was the knock down. 
Two: It's ok to fellowship. See, fellowship boosts morale. 

Our team wasn't down but God allowed us bond as team one. We studied the values of a Christian this morning. 
Fellowship.... Check
Stewardship..... Check

We ate our pizza on the way back to camp. Two miles out among the total destruction. People began to sweep trash off the street and finally...... Hope emerges.    
  

 

7 comments:

  1. Tell team 2 I am happy they arrived safely. Will your teams see the Hope orphans again? What are the main needs of the people who are coming to your clinic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you all united as ONE! God will be speaking so clearly through you to eveyone there but also to all of us back at home. God called, you answered and you came to their rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damon - thank you so much for keeping us updated. I was finally able to create my "google" account so I can be a follower. I sent the following message earlier via Facebook. If possible, please let me know if you have met these people. Thanks! R ( Damon - I was with a physician this morning who has been on numerous Haiti mission trips. He has two friends, Delourdes Bien Ami and her husband Father Jean Bertrand Bien Ami who are in Haiti and were suppose to hook up with Helping Hands. Have you met them, and if so, how are they doing? There friend is not able to... contact them and would love to know that they are okay. I would appreciate any information you can provide. I am loving the blog and tried to comment, but couldn't ever successfully set up a google account. Love you and miss you! --Robin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Linda. I will tell them. Also, we hope we get to see the orphans again. I wish I lived with them because it's beautiful there.

    @ Robin. I'm glad your following the blog. I wish I could be at church this Sunday but I get home late. As far as the two Haitians, no one has come to us here. We ferried to Haitians from Atlanta to PAP but they were an Aunt and Nephew. Her name was Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just got the information from the team from germany, they have their breakfast now...
    And they got all their baggage!
    Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pass along my love to my niece Angela on team 2 and wondered if she found dairy free pizza at Dominos?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whats up today team? Praying for your safety!

    ReplyDelete