Friday, February 5, 2010

River Rafting: A New Way

Today, as all days are in Haiti, was very interesting. On January 22, Helping Hands Missions moved a group of orphans into the mountains outside the city. Today we decided to go pay them a visit and check on their welfare. I was told that the ride would be two hours, but what I wasn’t told was that this two hour ride would take us not over a river, but in a river! After about an hour ride on relatively smooth pavement (smooth by Haiti standards anyway) we turned off of the smooth stuff and onto what I think was supposed to be a road. This “road” was more suited for the donkeys and the motorcycles that we passed than the fifteen passenger van that we were riding in. As I was riding along enjoying the mountain scenery, I just happened to look down below me and I realized that we were riding right on the edge of about a 200 feet drop into a river valley. But that is not the fun part. After about another two or three miles of bumping and bumping and bumping we came to what I thought was going to be a river crossing. But to my surprise Sohn, our driver, turned up river and began driving in the river! As we drove in this river the local women washed their clothes and dishes, people bathed themselves, and little children swam to escape the heat of the day. I had never experienced that in my life! The waves from the van passing were splashing up on the clothes lying out on the rocks to dry. I hope we didn’t make too many enemies with that. After about a quarter mile of running in the river we came out the other side and bumped along some more. And finally we came to a gated complex and as we got out of the van to stretch our legs we heard the joyful shouts of the children on the other side of the fence.

Pastor Jean Claude, the owner of the mission house we are staying in and operator of the orphanage, had just arrived from the States the night before, and he went with us to the orphanage. As the gates to the orphanage opened Pastor Jean Claude was mobbed by the children who were yelling their greetings and hugging him all at the same time. It was one of the most joyful reunions I have ever seen. But the work of the day was still ahead of us.

We were short two nurses, because the Germans had left last night, and Dr. K, Brenda, and Angela had to see all of the children in the orphanage. They all filed into the church’s sanctuary and sat on the homemade wooden benches. These kids were so well -behaved. Aaron suggested that we read the kids a Bible Story while they waited. I decided to read the account of David and Goliath. They all listened intently as they waited. It was a joy to see their faces as the story unfolded. Rick found a precious baby and must have held her for two hours. I also found another infant and decided to give the mother a break and as I held her, I noticed that she had a rash all over her body. Then it was her turn to see Angela and I got some pretty interesting news. The baby had a fever and active measles! I sure hope my MMR still works! The medical team made fast work of the rest of the children and while they were doing their work, the ladies who help at the orphanage was preparing a special treat for us. FRIED CHICKEN AND HOMEMADE FRENCH FRIES! That was a great treat after a week of salami sandwiches and instant soup!

While I was there I completely fell in love with a little eleven year old girl named Belinda. Before I left she told me she loved me and melted my heart. By the way, Lennette, if you are reading this, we almost had a fifth child, but to my regret, she is still at the orphanage. So please, as you read this, say a prayer for Belinda and the rest of the children, some of whom lost their parents in the earthquake.

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment