Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 10, 2010

I’m writing this blog at 6:00 a.m. – last night I was too tired. We worked in an area yesterday that they call “The Great Ravine” because it’s kind of down in a valley and is according to one man who has worked there for the past 9 years – the poorest and the worst area in Haiti. That is saying a lot considering that the whole country now seems to be practically a wasteland, at least the parts that we have seen. We had spent one day at The Great Ravine last week, doing a medical clinic, and due to the long line of people who didn’t get to see a doctor, we returned yesterday for another day of clinic. I was surprised when we arrived, because I wasn’t sure the people would remember which day we had promised to come. But a long line had already formed by the time we arrived at 8:30 a.m. As the day wore on, the crowd became more unruly as they waited in the hot sun, which felt like about 110 degrees. At one point, DuckAe, one of our team members, braved the crowds and the sun and sang to them, which did bring a measure of tranquility to the crowd, at least for a while.

Attending in a rooster fighting ring (literally, it is a ring where the doctor stations were set up) – we tried as much as possible to create some semblance of order and cleanliness. It’s not easy, given the fact that we had roosters, ducks, and chickens wandering around. After seeing the doctor, the patients walk around the outside of the circle, to reach the “evangelism” area and then finally they get their medications. We are seeing lots of people, especially children, who have stomach issues, not surprising given the awful sanitary conditions. There are also still lots of wounds from earthquake related injuries; and lots of colds and flu symptoms, since most of the people are sleeping outside in the open. Even though temperatures during the day are extremely hot, it is a little cooler at night, and babies especially can get chilled at night. We do as much as possible from a medical standpoint, but the limitations are great. And if we see a problem that requires more intense medical care, there are few options for the people. There is only one functioning local hospital that we are aware of, but there are long lines and unless an American accompanies the patient, they are unlikely to be seen and cared for.

I have to keep reminding myself why we are here. It is to tell the people about Jesus. The Great Ravine is known as an area filled with practice of witchcraft and voodoo. We hope that the people see something different in us that makes them realize that Jesus has more to offer than their pagan gods. I also must continually remind myself that I am not here to save anyone. I am here in obedience to God, I am doing what I was called to do. God will do the rest. Please continue to pray for our team and for the people of Haiti.

I read something else this morning that I want to share:
“Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it.”
“Well, why don’t you ask Him?”
“Because I’m afraid He would ask me the same question.”
Anonymous

We can make a difference one at a time so don’t give up…. “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

2 comments:

  1. Amen, he has overcome the world and he has called us to tell the world.

    Would it be possible to preach, teach or offer testamonies while the people are standing in line? I guess you would need someone to speak the lanuage and a speaker system.

    Thank you for writing this BLOG, I look forward to it each day - my prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad-
    As a team member who has just returned I can speak to your question. Sometimes it is possible and sometimes it is not. Even with a good translator it can be problematic.

    ReplyDelete