Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 9, 2010 Haiti

Today we had our first visit to one of the “Tent Cities.” It was quite the adventure, although I do have to say that the initial “culture shock” which most people experience was not one I had. On the contrary, seeing all the poverty and the mess was not a shock to me at all- even though I have never seen such things before.

The clinic was quite busy but I loved it. The people are a lot of fun to hang around with and very friendly. I used to hear it a lot-and still do-that the people are nice, but now I actually know it. I like that I can see things for myself here instead of hearing other people talk about it.

Back to the clinic, I thought it was a great success. The hardest part is to deny the things when they ask for money or food. There was one boy who kept asking me for money, he was so persistent, finally I turned around and smiled at him. He was so cute I kind of laughed and told him no; I have never seen a more mischievious smile cross a boy’s face. He sure knew what to do. It was the cutest thing and I think he knew it.

But it is not just the children that capture your attention, I must honestly say these people are very, very, very, very polite. I can’t stop being amazed at their culture. Very intriguing and I absolutely love it!

Our first day was quite funny. As we came out of the airport people swarmed around us from all sides all wanting to “help” with the luggage. One local man kept following Willi asking him if he knew the name of the people that were suppose to pick us up. Willi turned around and said “Stop it, Stop it” because we had already found our way, but the man turned around and started calling out “Stop it, Stop it” thinking it was the name of the person we were waiting for. Indeed, quite humorous.

Written by Marlene

In addition,

Hey Mike and everyone else:

These are the people who are on the trip with us - please pray for our team.

Marlene Kornelsen=Manitoba, Canada
Matthias Kornelsen=Manitoba, Canada
Willi Kornelsen= Osthofen, Germany
Lilli Kornelsen=Osthofen, Germany
Harry Lieder=Osthofen, Germany
Ludmilla Lieder=Osthofen, Germany
Rudi Penner= Osthofen, Germany
Harrold Penner= Osthofen, Germany
Stanley Hill= Georgia USA
Matthew Cox= South Carolina USA
Donna Foster= Georgia USA
Todd Ketner= Georgia USA
Allan Wong= Maryland USA
Marie Leon= Georgia USA *originally from Haiti
Aaron Reignier= Georgia USA
Dr. Richard Kowalske=Georgia USA
Dr. Brenda Kowalske=Georgia USA

3 comments:

  1. Great comments, I am surprised to see so many of the team from Germany. Our prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marlene, I had to read the post twice, once I realized it was you writing it. My thoughts & prayers are with you all, all day long. Say Hi to everyone. Love ya, Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda, I will be praying for y'all this week! Praying that God will put you in a place where you become more dependent upon Him in every situation! Go Give'em Heaven!

    Mike Parker

    ReplyDelete